Sunday, September 28, 2008

les, flamandes, les flamandes, les fla, les fla, les flamandes

okay, so i went to see jacques brel the other night. and it was great, it was awesome. the music was wonderful, the singers near perfection, and all that jazz. yes, an all-around good performance. fast-forward to a couple of days after the fact: i'm singing "les flamandes" and "next," and lamenting over the fact that i couldn't see it a second time. still, no foul. because i will always remember jacques brel. and the port of amsterdam. and that the middle class are just like pigs. and all the other random lines which go perfectly with nothing that i heard during jacque brel is alive and well and living in paris.

now, to talk about something more tangible than "it was totally kick-ass, dude!" though i noticed a few mess ups here and there, i have to say they were almost non-existant. my favorite song, i must say, ended up being "Amsterdam," which Elijah played a big part of. Now, while the song proved a bit raunchy, it was very well done. As for one of my other favorites, "Les Flamandes," I must admit to liking it mainly because it is so catchy--despite being in French.

All in all, I would declare Jacque Brel a success, though I go not entirely on my own opinion. In the past few days, I have heard many an excited conversation about Jacques Brel, with each review glowing. I have yet to hear any negative talk about Jacque Brel, of which I feel glad. It proved a wonderful performance and I would have gone a second time had it not been sold out on Saturday. Needless to say, after that particular bit of news, my friends and I walked dejectedly away, each singing "Les Flamandes" and "Brussels." Now, if only the performers would produce a soundtrack...

No comments: